This article is provided and authored by LegalShield,
Unwanted sales calls and text messages can be a major annoyance. You can prevent most unwanted sales calls by registering on the National Do Not Call Registry. Scammers and unscrupulous businesses do not adhere to the Do Not Call List and may use robocalls and spam texts to harass you.The following tips will help you reduce unwanted calls and will explain how to report illegal calls and texts.
- Register for the Do Not Call List. U.S. residents may register by calling 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register or by visiting donotcall.gov . Canadians may register at lnnte-dncl.gc.ca.
- You may still receive some calls. The Do Not Call List is designed to stop unwanted sales calls. Any company you have done business with, legitimate debt collectors, political organizations and charities may still contact you. If you do not want to receive these calls ask them to remove you from their list and note the date and time of your conversation.
- Report illegal sales calls. If you continue to receive sales calls after registering for the Do Not Call List, report the company. In the U.S. you may click here to report illegal sales calls. In Canada agents are available to take your call Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Toll-free: 1-866-580-3625. If you receive frequent calls from the same business contact your phone company and ask to block calls from their number.
- Report and block unwanted text messages to your phone company. Check with your phone company to find out how to block spam texts directly from your phone.
- Never engage with a scammer or click on links in a spam text message. Pressing a button to speak with someone on a scam phone call or clicking on a link in a scam text message is asking for trouble. Links may lead to viruses and malware software that could infect your phone.